martes, 10 de agosto de 2010

put your feet in the soil of a new country

The past two days had been like Christmas to me we a lot of gifts and gatherings, specially day two. Today was not to be the same. It started as early as 6 AM with Carmen saying good bye. Jamaica is her new destination. Youth development using soccer to bound the kids to school, pretty clever. I wish her the best, I'm sure she'll do fine.

It was to be the day of relaxing and realizing that I am not in my country anymore and that things work and a very different way in this part of the continent. Carmen's mom went to the Museum of art to learn about a mexican muralist because the museum will have an exposition of his work in september and she works there giving tours to the visitors, so she's gotta now everything about.

The whole afternoon was for me. A movie: Fuga. Reading: mother and family's letters, the newspaper. Playing with my new toys in the backyard. Watching a group of birds flying over the house for like an hour. Having lunch by myself. Drinking a lot of water. Thinking. Taking a shower.

It is nice to take some time to see how the sun seems to move more slowly and people are always in a rush in this country.

After this me-afernoon, Carmen's mom Christine took me to Verizon to buy a cell for me. I was looking for the most basic cellphone the could possibly have and found it. But this cellphone would be consider fancy in my country. It might not be a smart phone but, what's the point of it? I need to be smarter than my phone, it doesn't work the other way around. I need to be able to live without the help of one of those things. That's the definition of freedom that I learned today.

My mother is not the type of person that likes to keep up with technology, that's the reason why I was really surprised to friend her on Facebook today. Isn't it cool? Congrats mom! love you!

The third day will finish as soon as I shut  down my computer and go to bed... so in like an hour.

If you want to read something better and in spanish, take a look at this: http://sunsetjp.blogspot.com/2010/08/hasta-que-no-pueda-entonces-no-soy.html

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario