jueves, 12 de agosto de 2010

your moon is bigger than mine!

Due to the position of this city, the moon appear to be closer. You can say it just like that but as a good latin american I feel the need of looking at the moon in a romantic way. So, the moon is bigger here for me.  The sky in general looks so different. The sunset must be beautiful from the beach, because it is from were I'm living.

Homeless people are not third-world-country-exclusive. When Carmen's mother Christine toke me to BestBuy today, I could see a huge contrast between the well organized freeways, the neat and beautiful streets, the big cars, the huge public buildings and one single girl. She was anything but ugly. Blond and with big and beautiful eyes though full of sadness. She was holding a sing that said something like "even a little $ helps". It would be impossible to make her fit in the stereotype of a homeless person. Just impossible. Christine told me that most homeless people in the United States are in that condition because of some kind of mental illness or drug abuse and those problems affect any kind of people. Stereotypes do not work.

A few weeks ago I saw a picture named King of California. It's about this guy who's apparently crazy because he thing that a spanish missionary buried a treasure somewhere near his house. After a long research, very technical by the way, he realizes the treasure is buried under a Costco. One of my favorite actresses is in this movie, Evan Rachel Wood. Today I went to a Costco and the first thing that came to my mind was that movie. Everything was like in the movie. The place is like a huge box (actually places like Costco are called 'box stores') and they have a lot of pretty much everything, even though they didn't have as many cameras as one could imagine.

This country is now, in my opinion, really into food. The country of the fast food is now thinking twice before eating a delicious hamburger and they want to eat... well, third-world-country style. Interesting, isn't it? It's really nice to see people paying attention to what they eat, but I've been in this country for 5 days and I think it is about time for a delicious pice of highly process meat (McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King, Taco Bell...).

I'm starting to miss warm milk as well. It isn't common here but I guess is time to make the difference!

Today will end with a few hours of reading of my new book by Milton Friedman.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario