domingo, 15 de agosto de 2010

so much culture in such a little place... (relatively little)

Compared to other cities in the USA or Europe it is a small one. It is too hilly and the ocean and the bay prevent it from growing north, east or west. San Francisco is full of culture, you can almost breath that, or at least that's how I felt today. There's is an exhibit called "Birth of Impressionism" with all these masterpieces from a museum in France. This exhibit is only gonna be in de Young, it is not going to any other museum in the world unless it's coming back to France. I went to see it and I still can't believe it.

Monet, Sisley, Manet, Renoir... all these names that I can hardly pronounce, all these artist I know pretty much nothing about. Beauty everywhere! In the delicate colors of the water in Monet's paintings, in the illumination of Renoir's, in the powerful concepts of Caillebotte, in the provocative lines and colors of Stevens'... The first painting was "Birth of Venus" and I almost wet my pants because of the perfection and delicate beauty of it.

After that I met with a friend, Leah, and with a friend of her, Azlynn. They took me to the Stow lake the park's biggest artificial lake... or at least I guess it is artificial, correct me if I'm wrong please. We went in a little trip around the lake in a little pedal boat. Turtles, ducks, seagulls, bluejays and other birds living in peace with locals and tourists among all kinds of trees mixing up to create a very quiet scene, perfect to read, take a nap or make out with your girlfriend, or with your girlfriend's cousin because the place seems so far away from everything that you get this feeling of being in the most private of the places. Or at least that's the way a couple felt in the middle of the street, and they show it by fighting in front of everyone and then moving to their parking spot to keep arguing over.. well, who know, or even cares about it.

It's been quite a long since the last time I ride a bike, and it was evident not just because I got tired really fast, but because it was hard for me to breath for a moment, probably because I was wearing like two sweaters and one of those security vest. El Sombreron and Bloody Mary (not the drink you alcoholics!) came to the conversation, and then la Llorona and other stories.

In our way back to the museum, Azlynn saw a rodent coming into its little hole besides the sidewalk. Regardless our best efforts to make it come out of his hole again it didn't. Hopefully it is still alive and wasn't eaten by a dog or a snake.

Back in Richmond city, my headquarter, Carmen's mother and her friend Linda took me to a very nice and new restaurant called "New Z". BajoFondo, Gustavo Cerati, Bebe and some other hispanic singers joint our meal fancy and delicious meal. Jorge Drexler was missing though. And there it was, the moon half a quarter full, right in the sunset, at 8:20. A beautiful sky to bid farewell to interesting day at San Francisco.

1 comentario: